The following statements are excerpted from minutes of the UCCZ Minister’s Retreat Sub-committee on Ukama/Partnership held on Thursday, January 29, 1998:
- Ukama embraces friendship with or without material benefits from either party . . . is not conditional . . . has no time limit as long as relatives (hama) are there or alive . . . embraces the joys, the successes, the achievements, the pains, the suffering, the failures, the concerns, the problems of the other.
- Ukama is like the Biblical call of Galatians 6:2 “Bear one another’s burdens” (Takuriranai Mitoro).
- Ukama can be compared to Koinonia.
- Ukama (“Koinonia”) leads to Christian service (“Daikonia”).
- The basis of our (horizontal) ukama is a vertical relationship with God and Christ.
- The basis of our ukama is rooted in our common congregational heritage – missionaries who came from New England.We are bound together by the similarities in our Christian worship, the Office of Deacons in our churches and the Office of Pastor in congregational churches.